Thursday, September 07, 2006

Blogger vs. WordPress.com

Blogger is growing on me. The biggest things in its favor, versus WordPress.com, are the template editing and the profile features. I haven't played with it much, but I'd have to give the new templates a solid 10. Now that I can tweak the HTML and CSS, it's pushing an 11. The profile thing is just right, even though it hasn't changed, I don't think, in years. My only gripe is that to add a picture, you have to be running Windows. Of course that's a non-issue for 90 plus percent of the world.

WordPress.com is formidable to be sure. It has powerful tools for tracking your traffic built in. The thing I like best, however, is its comment tracking feature. With it, you can track your comments all across WordPress.com from you dashboard. It's really nice. It's more of a community over there and it's all sort of self contained. I don't like the stock templates, though, and you can't edit them unless you pony up a little cash. (I don't mind that, but I don't have any to pony up). Additionally you can add an avatar to your profile and it appears all over the WordPress.com when you comment, and even in a tag tracking feature that needs some work. Additionally WordPress has a "page" feature that permits permanent, static content to be linked to from the main page.

If I could only use one, today I'd probably have to go with WordPress. I've enjoyed their work for a while now. They're more of a hacker community. I like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've used both WordPress and Blogger, and much prefer WordPress.

When you say you can't edit the templates, are you speaking of the ones at the WordPress site or installing WordPress elsewhere? I don't know about the free ones, but if you get an inexpensive host and install WordPress you can edit the templates.

There is a huge number of free templates available for WordPress (but I don't know if you can install them on the free WordPress site).

WordPress is open source--probably what you refer to as a "hacker community." Many features have been added between the previous version and the current, plus there are many free plugins available to add additional features. I bet that WordPress will offer improvements at a much more rapid rate than Blogger.

J said...

Ron,

I've used WordPress(.org) back when I had my own domain, hosting, etc... I agree with everything you wrote. Unfortunately I have never, ever finished anything I've started, so I want to give this latest effort a long trial before investing even a penny. Thanks for the comment.